The University of Maryland College Park began as an agricultural college in 1856, and with the Morrill Act, became a Land Grant institution in 1862. In the 150 plus years since, the campus has expanded to 1250 acres, a spacious setting for the trees, shrubs, and flowers that now make up the UMD Arboretum and Botanical Garden.
The idea for our Campus Arboretum started as a collaboration between the Departments of Plant Sciences and Landscape Architecture, and Facilities Management. In preparation, for several years, staff worked to inventory the trees on campus and to develop a master plan for the campus landscape. Since the designation of our campus landscape as the UMD Arboretum and Botanical Garden in 2008, we have been named a Tree Campus USA by the National Arbor Day Foundation for six straight years.