Sizzlin Summer is Here!
For the second year in a row, we are happy to partner with RecWell in their Sizzlin Summer Series. Join us for our walks and tours throughout the summer to enjoy our campus and learn more about our trees, gardens, and landscapes! A list of programs is below, with registration links for each event. We hope to see you there!
- The Community Learning Garden aims to encourage healthy eating, educate about food production, and share the joy of garden-to-table! Join our volunteer hours at the garden every Saturday from June 1 - August 3, 10am - 11am, to learn more about growing vegetables and meet other great gardeners from UMD! Volunteers are welcome to drop in, no experience or registration required! https://www.facebook.com/umdclgarden/
- Walk with an Arborist - New Summer Route! Did you know that the entire University of Maryland campus is an arboretum? Enjoy an early morning walk around some of the highlights of our gardens and grounds with Outreach Coordinator and Certified Arborist Meg Smolinski. Summer dates are May 31, June 7, June 28, July 19, July 26, August 16, all starting at 8am and meeting at the Testudo at McKeldin Library. Participants can sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080f48adac2ba2fd0-walk
- Interested in learning more about how our campus contributes to the health of the Chesapeake Bay? Join Irrigation Specialist Scott Ankrom and Stormwater Manager Michael Carcmichael at the Community Learning Garden on Tuesday, June 4 at 9am to talk about just one of the ways we do this and enjoy a morning tour of the garden, a uniquely sustainable garden on campus. Register here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080f48adac2ba2fd0-water
- Take a lunchtime garden stroll to learn more about out plants, trees, and how we care for our urban landscape that hosts over 40,000 students and over 80,000 visitors a year. Horticulturist Scott Rupert will lead the tour on Tuesday, June 11 at noon. Participants should meet in front of Taliaferro Hall on Morrill Quad. Register here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080f48adac2ba2fd0-lunchtime1
- Enjoy a lunchtime walk and tour with Arboretum Director Karen Petroff and learn about the ways we support pollinator-friendly habitats in a challenging urban environment. Participants should meet in the courtyard behind Knight Hall at noon on July 11 and this tour will take approximately 30 minutes. Register here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080f48adac2ba2fd0-lunchtime2
- Take a lunchtime tree walk with Master Arborist Richard Jones and Lead Arborist Intern Mark Santamaria on Friday, July 19 at noon and learn more about our efforts to preserve and renew our tree canopy. Participants should meet at the Testudo at McKeldin Library. Register here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080f48adac2ba2fd0-lunchtime